FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Start Your Engines: Who's your enabler now? My give-a-damn's busted.

Start Your Engines

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Who's your enabler now? My give-a-damn's busted.

I have been putting off trying to blog, because nothing too exciting has happened in the past few days. However, I am feeling the need to be quasi-creative. Greg has me doing insurance requotes. I pity the people who chose to do this for the entire length of their career. Just shoot me in the foot- I would enjoy it more.

Yesterday, I had a lazy morning. Kevin (Aunt Molly's boyfriend) and I watched tv for a while. I finally got motivated, showered and headed out. I stopped by the county building and bought a copy of my birth certificate, because I needed it to get my Illinois license.

Yes, folks. I have lived here since April 2004 and still had a Missouri license. I got a speeding ticket two weeks ago. Officer so-and-so asked me why my car is registered to my dad in New Berlin, but I have a MO license. I explained that I graduated from school in December and moved home in late January. At the point, I also decided I shouldn't be lying to law enforcement about something so stupid.

Unfortunately, its kind of a pain in the ass to transfer your license to Illinois. In Missouri, I walked in, handed them the IL one, took the eye test, and bam, I was done. Illinois requires birth certificate, Social Security card, proof of new address, proof of signature, eye test and written test. Was this a program Gov. Blow-something proposed?

So, of course, I was paranoid about the written test since I haven't taken it in almost seven years. I got a rules of the road book and read through it while watching tv. I can't decide if I am such a procrastinator that I over dramatize things in order to make an excuse to push back accomplishing it, or if I am such an overachiever that I feel the need to get a 28 out of 28 (which I did) on the stupid road written exam. If you haven't figured it out, I am a little OCD on a few levels.

Anyway, I got my damn license...and a few neurosis. I also paid my ticket, and took the car for an oil change.

Is it weird that it makes me happy that Tony at Lube Master is always happy to see me? Shortly after I moved home, he and his buddies came into Brown's. One of them yelled "Hey baby!" on my way by in order to get my attention. I yelled back, "Don't you ever call me baby." After I dropped off the drinks I was carrying, I came back and told them all my name and if they wanted to get my attention, that was what I would respond to. Since then, Tony, the leader of the Lubemaster hooligans, is always super polite, pleasant and gives me 10% off. He appears to be single. Ladies? Any takers? He works full time? He'll be in Brown's Friday or Saturday night...

For some reason I attract car men.

Ed and I had Popeyes for dinner, because he has been craving it. We went to the bar for a bit. Mom and aunt Molly were there. Then we rented Sky Captain and the Day after Tomorrow. I think that's right. It was kind of cool. I could relate to Gwenneth Paltrow's character. She was a journalist with a camera. In the midst of their shenanigans, she loses her bag with all her film, so she carries her camera, with two pictures left, and constantly debates whether something is important enough to take a picture.

I think tonight I am headed out for a drink. Call me.